Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Facts and Fantasy? The Importance Of Research!

Why is research so important?

All writers are at the mercy of their readers. No matter what you write, in the end your success or failure as an author is determined by those who read your book! No easy feat in the world of fantasy writing. Lovers of fantasy can be obsessively passionate! They are the most dedicated and loyal fans, they are also some of the toughest critics on earth! So getting the details right is just as important as your storyline or characters.

So where do you draw the line between fantasy and reality? What can be made up and what needs to be accurate? Why does it matter?

It's all about keeping your writing believable, understandable and realistic.

It is not very believable for your characters to travel 200 miles in a day, or to be picking apples in the dead of winter! The army of a broke government in a drought affected land is not likely to be feasting and drinking each night!

I will most likely come back to this topic at some point... At the moment everything that I wanted to say has escaped me, as per usual. But if anyone has any thoughts I would like to hear what you think. Hopefully my brain blank disappears sometime soon! :)

2 comments:

  1. ugh. it's tough to do the proper research. So I've got some critters with cuttlefish-style eyes. You can't just be all "hurr see polarization of light" AND be all "yah totally see color and infrared too" in a proper novel. Optics are freakin' COMPLICATED >:( My hate is big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mot quite sure what that means lol... I think critters with cuttle fish eyes sound cool... It's only a few certain things that bug me when they are inaccurate, like the whole travel-distance-time ratio. It can rain donuts for all I care if it is going to make the story better! :)

    ReplyDelete